"LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE, AND THEN YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER" ALBERT EINSTEIN

29 Apr 2017

PLEASE READ THE VILE TEXT MESSAGES I RECEIVED FROM A SENIOR OFFICIAL OF THE BUHARI GOVERNMENT

On the 3rd of April, I had just come back from Abeokuta where I had the honour of joining several superb Nigerians in the fabulous 75th birthday celebration of the iconic juju music superstar, Evangelist Ebenezer Obey Fabiyi, who for many years has been one of my closest confidants in the music industry. President Obasanjo who once hosted me at Aso Rock, hosted the event. Upon return to Lagos in the evening, I was tired and feeling unwell and just wanted to go home and sleep
It was then someone called me to say that there would be an announcement any time that another collecting society for the music industry had been approved on the orders of the Attorney – General of the Federation. I was aghast.

I know the music industry and the copyright system in Nigeria enough to know that what I was hearing was a recipe for absolute commotion. By such a decision, much of the progress we have made in the last several years which demanded relentless work would be wiped away. Our agreement with the broadcast industry negotiated over several years could become meaningless. The agreement with the hotel industry will suffer the same faith. Royalty income to thousands of artistes across Nigeria would evaporate. The body of decisions by the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal on the Nigerian copyright system would have no meaning anymore. Question after question raced through my mind. How could the AGF have taken such a decision? Who advised him? Who did he consult? That night, I spoke with the AGF on the phone. It was clear to me that he had been told that the music industry would applaud such a decision! We agreed that I should come to Abuja on the first flight the next day so we could discuss the disturbing development.

I will not divulge the details of our discussions at meetings that were held over two days in his office and some of the intrigues that have played out since. One thing that became clear to me is that a few of the minister’s aides had exploited his incredibly busy schedule to push the agenda of their private clients in ways that are extremely troubling.

Upon my return to Lagos, I sent an email to Mr Sylvester Imhanobe, the minister’s Senior Assistant, whose body language suggests that he played a significant role in creating the commotion that has since gripped the music industry and the copyright system. I might be passionate in my writings but I do not use curse words and I certainly did not use any curse words in my mail to Mr. Imhanobe which I copied his principal.


Lo and behold, on April 20, I received the following text message from Sylvester Imhanobe, Special Assistant to the President on Research & Special Projects, a close Assistant to the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice from his cell phone no . 0803 604 6242.

“Read page News/5 of Thisday Newspaper of yesterday the report written by one Akinwale Akintunde titled ‘Renowned Artistes Applaud AGF, NCC over MCSN Approval as Collecting Society’. Now I know why you wrote that email. You selfish ignorant fool and idiot”
I did not reply Mr Imhanode’s vile message. I however forwarded it to his principal.

Within 24 hours on April 25, Imhonode, this senior officer of the Buhari Government sent me three text messages as follows:

“Stupid fool. With your big fat head. I am told that you have not relent to say foolish things about me. Be careful, the law of libel will put you in control. Common adulterous man like you. Bastard!“
“I understand you addressed a press conference today and my name is mentioned. Be ready to hear from my lawyers in a long drawn legal battle. I knew that you arrogant pride will bring your fall. Idiot.”

“I have read your statements you made of me at your press conference. You will soon hear from my lawyers”

In my work in the development of the Nigerian creative industry, I have met practically every Attorney-General of the Federation from Prince Bola Ajibola whom I hosted at Sheraton Lagos several months ago, a brilliant Nigerian whose friendship I cherish, through Chief Bayo Ojo to Mr. Mohammed Adokie. Indeed, in Nigeria, I have met ministers of every colour and there is none that will tell you that I have ever come to him or her asking for a contract or a job. I have also had some reasonably good relationship with some Heads of State of the Nigerian nation. I have never asked for a penny from them or for an oil bloc. You may think that I am foolish not to exploit such access but I have long decided that the measure of my success on earth is not the number of houses I own or the amount of money I have in a bank. I am passionate about the work that I do and I want to do it unshackled and unchained.
In the course of my work, on November 25, 2016, I met for the first time, the current Attorney -General of the Federation, Mr Abubakar Malami in his Abuja office. I had led a delegation of Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON), the board of which I chair, to share ideas with the Minister on what we can do to energize the creative community in Nigeria to achieve its full potentials and to bring our country closer into the new knowledge economy powered by intellectual property. The minister was clearly excited, When I suggested that we could start implementing some of the ideas within 2 months of our meeting, the minister stopped me. He said that he wanted us to hit the road in two weeks! I was impressed by his zeal. 

That was how I met Sylvester Imhanode whom the minister Instructed to meet with me and Chief Okoi Obono Obla, the President’s Special Assistant on Prosecution so that together, we could develop a blue print for him.

The meeting was held in curious circumstances. I however never saw ‘our’ report. On my enquiries, I found out that Chief Obla also never saw the report. Months went by and I waited for something positive to happen for Nigeria’s creative industries. I even sent a reminder to the AGF and there was no reply. It is clear to me now that the process was hijacked and the AGF was given the impression that I was in support of the bizarre policies announced in his name!

I am not a member of the APC or any political party but I have never hidden the fact that I verily support the moral fibre of Muhammadu Buhari. I am however frightened by the kind of characters that are springing up around his government and who exhibit the belief that in the election of Buhari, they have been elected to rape the Nigerian nation. How exactly did a man with the vile temperament of Sylvester Imhanobe get close to the office that seems to have gotten into his head? Who vetted him?

No comments:

Post a Comment